It is not uncommon to feel anxious or nervous when planning a visit to the dentist. Some patients become so concerned, they neglect to schedule an appointment all together, which can result in more serious issues developing. Our goal is to provide everything necessary to ensure that your visit to our clinic is a comfortable and calm experience. In order to provide that level of comfort, we offer a range of sedation options, which are detailed below.
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we are committed to making your experience a calm and comfortable one. From Dayton to across the country and internationally, we welcome all patients to experience outstanding customer service and tailored treatment plans. If you are scheduled for a procedure that requires sedation dentistry, or if you would like to ask our staff any questions about this procedure or schedule an appointment, please contact us today.
CALL (937) 293-3402
800 Shroyer Rd. Dayton, OH 45419
Levels of Sedation
There are several sedation options to choose from, including: local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, oral sedation, and intravenous sedation. The best option is dependent on the type of procedure being performed, but in general, patients will be given several choices to help them feel comfortable and less anxious during their appointment.
- Mild Sedation: If the goal is simply to relieve anxiety, then this is the preferred choice. Mild sedation typically lessens the anxiety level in the patient, but can also decrease the level of pain experienced. In some cases, it can even eliminate the pain all together.
- Medium Sedation: Medium sedation is a better option if the procedure is more intense or invasive. During medium sedation, the patient is in a much deeper state of relaxation. It is not uncommon that amnesia can be experienced as a result of this option. Because of this, someone will have to drive you home following the procedure.
Types of Dental Sedation Available
The sedation options we offer can be classified as one of two types: conscious sedation and general anesthesia. During the course of a procedure using conscious sedation, the individual’s consciousness is merely depressed. General anesthesia, in contrast, means that the individual is completely unconscious for the entirety of the procedure. As a result, the patient will be unable to feel anything during the procedure and will have no memory of the procedure.
The methods available for providing sedation to the patient include:
- Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous oxide is the mildest sedation option. It is also the most common. The process for administering Nitrous Oxide involves the use a mouthpiece. As the Nitrous Oxide is applied, the patient enters a relaxed state. This process also tends to reduce both the pain and anxiety that is often associated with procedures of this nature.
- Oral Sedation: A slightly more intense form of sedation is Oral Sedation. This involves the application of anxiety medication to induce a state of deep calm in the patient. This effect has the capacity to last for hours after the procedure. As a result, patients are not allowed to drive immediately following the procedure.
- IV Sedation: IV, or Intravenous Sedation, is the most intense form of sedation we offer. During IV Sedation, the patient is put into a state of unconsciousness. It is not uncommon for patients to experience bouts of amnesia both before and after the procedure. As before with the Oral Sedation procedure, patients are not allowed to drive after the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry has many benefits. Beyond the reduction or elimination of pain, sedation can also alleviate anxiety many patients feel in association with these procedures. Another benefit is the reduction of the patient’s gag reflex. Also, the use of sedation allows the dentist or periodontist to work in a more efficient and efficacious manner, primarily because you are relaxed and pain free.
Cost of Sedation Dentistry
The final cost of sedation will be determined by a variety of factors, including what type of sedation is used and what type of dental plan you are currently enrolled in. Our office does accept cash, most major credit cards, money orders, and personal checks.
If you have concerns about the extent of care required and would like to discuss alternate financial arrangements, please feel free to contact our office to discuss CareCredit. CareCredit helps patients pay for procedures and treatments that are not covered by insurance by offering low minimum monthly payments and No Interest* financing so you can get what you want, when you want it. Applying for Care Credit only takes three simple steps and can provide instant approval.
If you have any additional questions regarding payments, dental insurance coverage, or available financial options, please contact our office and we will be happy to help.
For Beautiful, Healthy Smiles, Contact Us Today!
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we believe a healthy smile is a beautiful smile, which is why we provide an array of dental treatments to cater to health as well as aesthetics. Our practice utilizes world-class labs that create customized restorations to restore the structure and beauty of your teeth. We take the time to explain and educate our patients about the importance of health care and answer any questions you may have about treatment so you can make the best decision for your smile.
With his attention-to-detail for providing high aesthetic results to restoring the health of patients’ teeth and gums, at John T. Green DDS Inc you are in experienced hands. Take your first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile today and schedule an appointment by contacting our office by phone at 937.293.3402 or fill out our online form.