Platelet Rich Plasma
Following an oral surgery procedure, one of the primary ways the body heals itself is through platelets, which play a critical role in stopping bleeding by forming clots. These platelets also have hormones that help stimulate the growth of tissue which helps the body heal itself. The more platelets there are in one area, the faster healing can take place.
One of the ways our clinic is uniquely able to assist our patients in the recovery process is through the use of Platelet Rich Plasma, or PRP. Platelet Rich Plasma is a blood by-product that is saturated with platelets. For many years, hospitals have used Platelet Rich Plasma to help facilitate patients in their healing process, and recent technological advances have allowed dental clinics to begin using similar techniques.
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we offer a wide range of cutting edge services, ranging from cosmetic to restorative dentistry and the use of Platelet Rich Plasma to help our clients enjoy a speedy recovery process. From Dayton to across the country and internationally, we welcome all patients to experience outstanding customer service and tailored treatment plans. If you would like to ask our staff any questions about this procedure or schedule an appointment, please contact us today
CALL (937) 293-3402
800 Shroyer Rd. Dayton, OH 45419
How Platelet Rich Plasma Is Collected
Provided you are not currently suffering from a blood clotting disorder, we will collect your Platelet Rich Plasma the same day as whatever procedure you are having performed. When you arrive for your procedure, we will take a sample of your blood (generally no more than 2 ounces), which we will then place into a centrifuge. This centrifuge will spin your blood sample, which will effectively separate the red bloods cells and the plasma. Once this occurs, we will collect this plasma and run it through the centrifuge once more in order to concentrate the platelets.
Once this is done, we will take the collected material and apply it to the site where your surgery or procedure has taken place in order to promote a rapid healing process that is facilitated by your body’s own material. This entire process is painless and will take less than 15 minutes to perform.
Benefits of Platelet Rich Plasma
Using Platelet Rich Plasma is beneficial in so many different healing capacities, as the platelets increase the rate at which your body is able to heal and the rate at which tissue is able to regenerate. Additional benefits include the fact that Platelet Rich Plasma is:
- Safe. The risk of disease transmission or developing an infection is incredibly low because the blood being used is your own. Additionally, patients who heal faster spend less time with open wounds, which are susceptible to developing bacteria.
- Affordable. Because the sample is taken directly in our office, and because we only need a small amount, there is no need to schedule a costly hospital visit or multiple exams, which helps reduce the overall cost.
- Convenient. We are able to draw the blood right before your procedure is performed and apply the drawn sample as soon as the procedure is complete, which means you will not have to make any special appointments to have this procedure done.
What Type of Procedures Benefit from Using Platelet Rich Plasma?
The use of Platelet Rich Plasma can be beneficial in helping a patient heal from a broad range of procedures, including but not limited to the following:
- Bone Repair: PRP is beneficial in facilitating repair following a range of bone repair procedures such as cyst or growth removal, facial trauma reconstruction, or repairing defects following the removal of a tooth or teeth.
- Bone Grafting for Implants: PRP is often used following procedures such as sinus lifts, ridge augmentations, closure of a cleft lip or cleft palate, sinus lifts, ridge augmentation, and inlay and onlay grafts.
- Fistula Repair: PRP is beneficial for improving repair of both mouth and sinus cavity fistulas
While using Platelet Rich Plasma will help facilitate your healing process and can be used for additional surgeries and procedures, you will still need to follow the post-procedure care instructions provided by your dentist.
Cost of Using Platelet Rich Plasma
The cost of using Platelet Rich Plasma will vary, but you should be aware that many insurance plans do not cover PRP. If you have concerns about the extent of care required and would like to discuss alternate financial arrangements, please feel free to contact our office to discuss CareCredit. CareCredit helps patients pay for procedures and treatments that are not covered by insurance by offering low minimum monthly payments and No Interest* financing so you can get what you want, when you want it. Applying for Care Credit only takes three simple steps and can provide instant approval.
If you have any additional questions regarding payments, dental insurance coverage, or available financial options, please contact our office and we will be happy to help.
For Beautiful, Healthy Smiles, Contact Us Today!
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we believe a healthy smile is a beautiful smile, which is why we provide an array of dental treatments to cater to health as well as aesthetics. Our practice utilizes world-class labs that create customized restorations to restore the structure and beauty of your teeth. We take the time to explain and educate our patients about the importance of health care and answer any questions you may have about treatment so you can make the best decision for your smile.
With his attention-to-detail for providing high aesthetic results to restoring the health of patients’ teeth and gums, at John T. Green DDS Inc you are in experienced hands. Take your first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile today and schedule an appointment by contacting our office by phone at 937.293.3402 or fill out our online form.