Dental implants (false teeth) are surgically positioned metal posts that your dentist or periodontist places underneath your gum line in order to mount replacement teeth. Once this titanium post has had sufficient time to heal, your dentist will set the replacement bridge or set of replacement teeth on top of this titanium post.
Dental implants offer significant benefits for patients including the following:
- Improved Structural Integrity. Dental implants allow the preservation of the original bone. Dental implants also fill gaps and prevent future infection or decay, reducing the need to have infected teeth removed.
- Improved Aesthetic Appearance. Missing teeth can change the shape of your face or jaw, but dental implants can improve the appearance of your smile and/or jawline, which can give you a renewed sense of self-confidence and a healthier smile.
- Upgrade from Dentures. Dental implants can be a way to upgrade from removable dentures. This will allow you to secure your dentures to your gums, making it easier to chew and talk.
- Improved Oral Health. Dental implants can make oral self-care more manageable, as having them placed makes brushing and flossing easier.
CALL (937) 293-3402
800 Shroyer Rd. Dayton, OH 45419
The Dental Implants Process
To begin the dental implant process, you will need to schedule an initial consultation to determine if this is the best option for you. Patients should be prepared to make several visits, sometimes spanning a few months, to complete the process of receiving dental implants.
Next, your dentist will perform an evaluation of the damage and decay to your teeth, and identify which teeth may need to be removed. They will also need to examine your jawbone to confirm that it is strong enough to hold the dental implant. In some cases, a patient’s jawbone is simply not strong enough to properly hold an implant. In these cases, you may be able to undergo a dental bone graft to replace the lost bone tissue. This option is not always feasible and will be determined by the severity of the tissue loss. In our office we use a CBCT 3D xray to evaluate your jawbone, teeth and joints to plan for implant success.
If your dentist confirms that you are a good candidate for dental implants, they will then extract your damaged tooth and clean the area in order to install the titanium rods into your jawbone. Titanium is used because it is able to naturally integrate with your bone. This process may take up to a few months for the graft and/or rod to heal. Once it has properly healed, your dentist will place the abutment to hold the crown into place using a screw or dental cement.
Caring for Dental Implants
It can take a few weeks to recover fully from the dental implant procedure. While you are recovering, you will need to stick to a soft-food diet, and gradually reintroduce harder foods as your discomfort begins to go away.
Once you have fully recovered, the most important thing you can do is continue practicing good self-care oral hygiene. By following these best practices, you will be taking an important step to ensuring that you maintain a strong and healthy smile.
- Brush and floss at least twice daily. When you do brush your teeth, be sure to do so for at least two minutes. Many people do not spend enough time brushing, or attending to cleaning other areas of the mouth, such as the tongue. If you happen to have an aversion to flossing, talk to your dentist about flossing alternatives, such as interdental brushes or flossing picks.
- Be mindful of your diet. To maintain healthy teeth and gums, avoid eating foods high in start or drinking sugary liquids. If you do consume sugar liquids, use a straw to limit the amount of sugar that is exposed to your teeth. It is also best practice to drink water after every meal and swish water to remove deposits of food.
- Schedule visits every six months or more for those with periodontal issues. Besides practicing good oral hygiene habits and being mindful of your diet, the best thing you can do to preserve and improve your oral health is to visit your dentist or periodontist every six months. Doing so allows your dentist to perform a deep cleaning with specialty tools, monitor the status of any procedures you have had performed, and perhaps most importantly, address potential issues before they develop.
Cost of Dental Implants
The final cost of your procedure will be determined by a variety of factors, such as the severity of your case and what type of dental plan you are currently enrolled in. Our office does accept cash, most major credit cards, money orders, and personal checks.
If you have concerns about the extent of care required and would like to discuss alternate financial arrangements, please feel free to contact our office to discuss CareCredit. CareCredit helps patients pay for procedures and treatments that are not covered by insurance by offering low minimum monthly payments and No Interest* financing so you can get what you want, when you want it. Applying for Care Credit only takes three simple steps and can provide instant approval.
If you have any additional questions regarding payments, dental insurance coverage, or available financial options, please contact our office and we will be happy to help.
For Beautiful, Healthy Smiles, Contact Us Today!
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we believe a healthy smile is a beautiful smile, which is why we provide an array of dental treatments to cater to health as well as aesthetics. Our practice utilizes world-class labs that create customized restorations to restore the structure and beauty of your teeth. We take the time to explain and educate our patients about the importance of health care and answer any questions you may have about treatment so you can make the best decision for your smile.
With his attention-to-detail for providing high aesthetic results to restoring the health of patients’ teeth and gums, at John T. Green DDS Inc you are in experienced hands. Take your first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile today and schedule an appointment by contacting our office by phone at 937.293.3402 or fill out our online form.