Dental Bone Grafting
If you are missing a tooth or teeth and have been for an extended period of time, you may require a dental bone graft procedure in order to prevent your jawbone from deteriorating. If your dentist or periodontist has concluded that a dental bone graft is necessary, you will be given the option of using bone or a synthetic material. Many people feel comfortable using synthetic materials, however some people prefer using either human or animal bone. Both materials are efficacious in their ability to regrow bone in the areas of missing teeth.
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we offer a wide range of services, from cosmetic to restorative dentistry. From Dayton to across the country and internationally, we welcome all patients to experience outstanding customer service and tailored treatment plans. If you are scheduled for a dental bone graft, or if you would like to ask our staff any questions about this procedure or schedule an appointment, please contact us today.
CALL (937) 293-3402
800 Shroyer Rd. Dayton, OH 45419
The Dental Bone Grafting Process
A bone grafting procedure involves moving a portion of bone from one part of your body to another, or taking donor or synthetic material and placing that material in your jawbone. The healing process from this procedure can take several months to progress to the point where the patient is able to grow new and viable bone in the area of the graft. Your dentist or periodontist will continue to monitor the graft during this time with regularly scheduled visits. Once it has been determined that the graft is strong and secure, the process of
Benefits of Dental Bone Grafting
There are several benefits to having a dental bone graft procedure, including:
- Retains original size of the jawbone
- Prevents future issues from developing
- Improved Functionality
- Aesthetic improvement following the placement of dental implants
Success Rate of Dental Bone Grafts
Although dental bone graft procedures are often successful, it is important to be aware that not every patient experiences success with this procedure. The most common reason a dental bone graft is not successful is due to the presence of an infection in the mouth.
Although bone grafting is becoming more commonplace, it is still a substantial undertaking. You are strongly encouraged to consult with your dentist or periodontist to address any issues or concerns you might have prior to committing to the process.
Caring for Your Mouth After Dental Bone Grafting
It is critical to follow the post-operative instructions provided by your dentist to facilitate the healing process following your dental bone graft. Be sure to avoid vigorous brushing or mouth rinsing, and avoid touching the area where the procedure occurred. If prescribed antibiotics or pain medication, be sure to take the prescribed dosage at the recommended times. If necessary, ice packs can help reduce inflammation.
Once you have fully healed, it will not be necessary to make major changes to your daily habits, but the best thing you can do to maintain your results and avoid similar dental procedures in the future is to practice good self-care oral hygiene practices.
By following these best practices, you will be taking an important step to ensuring that you maintain a strong and healthy smile.
- Brush and floss at least twice daily. When you do brush your teeth, be sure to do so for at least two minutes. Many people do not spend enough time brushing, or attending to cleaning other areas of the mouth, such as the tongue. If you happen to have an aversion to flossing, talk to your dentist about flossing alternatives, such as interdental brushes or flossing picks.
- Be mindful of your diet. To maintain healthy teeth and gums, avoid eating foods high in start or drinking sugary liquids. If you do consume sugar liquids, use a straw to limit the amount of sugar that is exposed to your teeth. It is also best practice to drink water after every meal and swish water to remove deposits of food.
- Schedule visits every six months or more for those with periodontal issues. Besides practicing good oral hygiene habits and being mindful of your diet, the best thing you can do to preserve and improve your oral health is to visit your dentist or periodontist every six months. Doing so allows your dentist to perform a deep cleaning with specialty tools, monitor the status of any procedures you have had performed, and perhaps most importantly, address potential issues before they develop.
Cost of Dental Bone Grafting
The final cost of your procedure will be determined by a variety of factors, such as the severity of your case and what type of dental plan you are currently enrolled in. Our office does accept cash, most major credit cards, money orders, and personal checks.
If you have concerns about the extent of care required and would like to discuss alternate financial arrangements, please feel free to contact our office to discuss CareCredit. CareCredit helps patients pay for procedures and treatments that are not covered by insurance by offering low minimum monthly payments and No Interest* financing so you can get what you want, when you want it. Applying for Care Credit only takes three simple steps and can provide instant approval.
If you have any additional questions regarding payments, dental insurance coverage, or available financial options, please contact our office and we will be happy to help.
For Beautiful, Healthy Smiles, Contact Us Today!
At John T. Green DDS Inc., we believe a healthy smile is a beautiful smile, which is why we provide an array of dental treatments to cater to health as well as aesthetics. Our practice utilizes world-class labs that create customized restorations to restore the structure and beauty of your teeth. We take the time to explain and educate our patients about the importance of health care and answer any questions you may have about treatment so you can make the best decision for your smile.
With his attention-to-detail for providing high aesthetic results to restoring the health of patients’ teeth and gums, at John T. Green DDS Inc you are in experienced hands. Take your first step towards a beautiful, healthy smile today and schedule an appointment by contacting our office by phone at 937.293.3402 or fill out our online form.