What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening removes stains and assists teeth in returning to their natural color. This procedure can effectively remove discoloration caused by diet and routine wear and tear.
Why do I need teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening will help you to refresh your smile and brighten your teeth. Over time, your teeth can go from white to not-so-bright for a number of reasons:
- Food and Drinks like Coffee, tea and red wine
- Tobacco Use, The chemicals found in tobacco (tar and nicotine) create stubborn stains, giving teeth a yellowish tint.
- Age. Over time, the outer enamel layer gets thinner with brushing and more of the yellowish dentin shows through.
- Trauma, a tooth may change color because it reacts to an injury by laying down more dentin, which is a darker layer under the enamel.
- Medications, Tooth darkening can be a side effect of certain antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure medications. Chemotherapy and head and neck radiation can also darken teeth.
The problem with most Teeth Whitening Treatments
Unfortunately, many people are enticed to use inexpensive, off-the-shelf whitening solutions from the supermarket. The resulting shade is usually inconsistent and these products often cause heightened sensitivity.
Most often people are simply not satisfied with the results.
Take-Home Whitening Kits
There are several options for Teeth whitening home kits. Dr. Green offers custom tray teeth whitening. They typically come in a gel and are placed in a tray that fits on your teeth.
Are there any side effects to teeth whitening?
Some may experience tooth sensitivity, in most cases the sensitivity is temporary. Overuse of whiteners can also damage the tooth enamel or gums, so be sure to follow directions and talk to your dentist.
Schedule a Consultation
Contact us today for more information on our teeth whitening and teeth bleaching procedures.